Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Sweet Hereafter August 1 2006: Spiritual despite himself?

Howdy folks,

Last week, I played a request by Andrew named "Did I step On Your Trumpet?" by Danielson, a fun little ditty from the much acclaimed album Ships. I've listened to the song a few times already and really like it. However, I came across an article yesterday about Danielson where he talked about the Christian themes that is infused throught out his music. My first reaction was of course: "What the hel.." Well, maybe not. But little did I know though that by playing this song, I was introducing spiritual content into my usual vacuous and innocuous brand of music. I began to wonder whether I've been playing other music with spritual/religious undertones without having the intellectual wherewithal to make the connection.

Too often, artists get branded with a Christian label and their music is unfairly dismissed. If you know of artists that I've been playing, and therefore I must be enjoying, who have been inspired by religious themes in their music, please let me know. I'd really like to listen to their music with a different perspective.

On another front, I'm submitting my thesis in three days so if you hear the sound of a typewriter on the show, that's the sound of multitasking baby!

Cheers,

Tuan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home