Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Sweet Hereafter March 28, 2006: Jingle all the way

Hey everyone,

While watching an NCAA March Madness (or March Sadness in my case), my attention was grabbed by a short 15 seconds American Eagle Outfitters ad. No, it wasn't the cute blonde in the ad nor that it was American Eagle Outfitters, it was the song that they were using. A female voice singing a poppy tune that I thought I recognized and I thought I was indifferent to, but in this commercial setting, sounded appealing to me. I racked my brain the rest of the evening and the tune stayed in my head Monday morning on the drive to work till I was able to get access to Google and figure out what song it was. It was a tune called Nth Degree by a band named Morningwood (yes, I am aware of the connotations of that name) and I remember seeing the video on The Wedge, Much Music's weekly one-hour slot dedicated to non-top 40 stuff. I also remembered that I was indeed indifferent to it the first time I saw it, but now the song is stuck in my head simply because of that commercial.

So today on the show, I will play songs that have put in the mainstream consciousness because they appeared in a short ad. You'll hear songs like "Don't wait too long" by Madeleine Peyroux, "Jerk it out" by the Caesars, "This is the day" by The The and of course, "Hands in my pocket" by Jim Guthrie (sorry Linds). If you have any suggestions in terms of other songs that you discovered through commercial spots, please send them my way before 2:30 and I'll try to get them on the show.

By the way, the podcasting venture seems to be working. I've had a few people tell me that they were able to get the podcasts using either Juice or iTunes. Thanks for your feedback. I may be able to get both halves the show together so you will only have to download one .mp3 file.

See you in a bit (3-5PM or at your own convenience),

Tuan

1 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Besides the China comment, Morrissey's referrence to "German gas chambers" was pretty over the top -- he realized Godwin's Law in one step.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home