Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sweet Hereafter: We'll give you A widow for one year

Hey everyone,

So you may have heard this from other shows or read about it in the newspaper but the Sweet Hereafter is starting a pledge drive this Friday (Jan 27.) till February 5th. The reason why we've adopted this PBS strategy is because we will be losing $48,000 of AMS funding come next year. This is a sizeable chunk of change and by no means are we hoping to raise all that in a week. We just want some positive reinforcement. Anyways, yes, my show has been given the goal of raising x amount of money, which I will be writing a cheque for anyways so it is not up to you faithful listeners to help me raise that money. I've already done it myself. If you do plan on giving our little station some money, all I ask is that you do it during my show next week (Friday Jan 31st) just because it makes me look better.

Oh, and about our offer of a widow for one year, my friend Dave told me a story where a few years ago, PBS was offering John Irving's novel "A Widow for One Year" with every pledge. Of course, the announcers at PBS, not being the most comedically astute individuals on TV, announced throughout their pledge drive that for every pledge that they received, "PBS will send you a widow for one year for every pledge". I personally think that widows have better things to do than being pawns of PBS and thought it was pretty crass of PBS to think that this would be enticing to their listeners.

Expect to hear on the show this week

Sigur Ros
Feist
The Features
The Stooges
Mark Mothersbaugh
The Pernice Brothers
In-Flight Safety
The Shins
Snow Patrol
Keane
some dead air (just kidding, I hope)


Songs to put on your iPod shuffle in preparation for 12 hours in an airport/airplane

Huddle Formation - The Go! Team
Carolina - Seu Jorge
Blow it Out - The Features
High - James Blunt (best played when you're in the air)
Stay Fly - 3 6 mafia (just for the word play)
Other Side of the World - KT Tunstall
Cold Hands Warm Heart - Brendan Benson
Shine a Light - Wolf Parade
Energy of Death - Apostle of Hustle
Romantic Rights - Death From Above 1979
Live it out - Metric
Dare - The Gorillaz
Fire - Jason Collett
Neighbourhood #2 - Laika
Uniform Grey - Sarah Harmer
Left and Leaving - The Weakerthans


Cheerio,

Tuan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home